Sunday, May 10, 2009

MARKET SEASON IS ON!

JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES & JAPANESE TURNIPS FRESH FROM MOSS ST. MARKET


This Saturday, I visited the Moss Street Market for the first time this year. The vibrant, inclusive, family-oriented vibe of Moss St. Market is insatiable.

I stopped at a booth with Jerusalem artichokes with the intention of finding more about these unfamiliar vegetables. The woman representing her farm booth proceeded to wipe off a dirty knife on her rear end, and cut open a CHOKE for me to sample. The texture of a jerusalem artichoke is much like a radish. The taste like a not-so-starchy potato. The woman recommended roasting the artichokes with olive oil and garlic. Seeing as how I planned to roast a chicken, I picked up 6 small artichokes and a bunch of japanese turnips, in order to roast the vegetables along side the bird. The artichoke lady also had some fresh rhubarb for sale. I paired the rhubarb with sliced strawberries (sadly from California) and baked them in a crumble.




No comments: