Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ferns for Dinner





















Last night I stopped at the neighbourhood market for some lemons. In the produce section I honed in on a real find - Fiddleheads!


The gal at the grocery check out asked her coworker - what are these? I answered "Fiddlehead Ferns. They are ferns from the forest". The grocery girl was intrigued, she said she had never seen them before. I asked her if she likes asparagus, she said yes and I informed her that Fiddleheads are like any green vegetable.


In retrospect, I realize that these spring-time treats are less like asparagus and more like kale in flavor. They are nutty, yet subtle. Truly a treat.




Fiddle Head Recipe:



  • Wash and cut off the tips of the ferns

  • Steam for a few minutes and set the ferns aside

  • Empty out the water of the pot and put it on low heat on stove

  • Add butter (say 2 tbsp) and let melt

  • Add crushed garlic - one clove

  • Saute garlic for one minute (low heat, so it doesn't burn)

  • Add ferns back into pan

  • Season w/ Salt & Pepper

  • Add a wee bit more butter if necessary

  • Put the lid on for a minute or two while serving up the rest of the meal

No comments: