Monday, August 25, 2008

MUSINGS ON LIQUEUR


LIMONCELLO LEMON LIQUEUR


I first discovered Limoncello whilst in Italy as a young adult. At 18 or 19 I was in Italy with my college wind symphony for an international band festival. We were billeted with local families in the Besana e Brianza area (Northern Italy, near Milan). Amongst my vivid memories are many gastronomical delights.


Limoncello - did I meet you at a bar or at a house? Or was it after a friend had purchased a bottle, which we passed around and chugged after hopping the fence of a gated park at night? Now that we have met, I enjoy you as an aperitif or in a cocktail. My favorite limoncello cocktail is from Luciano's restaurant - featuring champagne and the lemon liquer.

I recall an Italian man describing how his family makes limoncello. Lemon rinds and sugar are mixed with alcohol and left to meld in a bottle. That's all. It is tart, tangy and sweet all at once.

1 comment: